A blacksmith, Damaemi Yinyegha, is critically ill in a hospital after the grinder of a sharpening machine that he used for his work broke and cut his stomach.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the faulty machine cut open Yinyegha’s stomach and exposed his intestines, leaving him half dead.
It was learnt that sympathisers immediately rushed the blacksmith to a hospital in the area, and he had remained bedridden since April 14, 2018, the day of the incident.
Our correspondent gathered that the 24-year-old learnt the blacksmith trade from his father and took over the business after his father died in 2015.
He was said to be using the sharpening machine to sharpen some knives on the day, when the machine broke and the grinder sliced his stomach.
It was gathered that he was initially taken to the Comprehensive Health Centre at Arogbo, Ondo State, from where he was referred to another hospital.
Family members said his condition had been steadily deteriorating as had been moved from one hospital to another.
Speaking with PUNCH Metro, the Ondo State indigene said, “I work as a blacksmith, I learnt the trade from my father. When he died, I took over the job fully.
“On that day, while I was using the sharpening machine, it broke and the grinder cut open my stomach. My intestine came out and I was rushed to the Comprehensive Health Centre at Arogbo.
“There, a nurse worked on me but it was not properly done. Because the stitch started leaking and faeces started coming out from there.
“I was subsequently referred to the General Hospital Igbokoda, Okitipupa. I was told that it will heal up and there is no need for me to be operated on again. I was there for six weeks without food and water.
“Later, I was referred to the Federal Medical Centre, Owo, where I was operated on again. During the operation, I started bleeding. The doctors had to close me up to save my life. Despite that, my condition is not getting any better.”
The first of seven children said he was still in excruciating pain as faeces are still coming out from his stomach. He added that he had lost much weight and that his family did not have money for further treatment.”
Damaemi’s mother, Tanro Yinyegha, said money had been a challenge in getting proper treatment for her son.
“We have been on this issue since April. After he was operated on at the health centre, it started leaking. We were at the General Hospital, Okitipupa, and we are now at Federal Medical Centre, Owo.
“When he was operated on the second time, he almost lost his life. But his stomach is still leaking and it keeps getting worse. Now, we have been given a separate ward because whenever faeces leak out of his stomach, the smell is really bad. I have been the one going around with him. Money has been a challenge because we are not getting help from anybody and we need money to help him get better,” the mother of seven said.
His stepfather, Monday Kurumah, said the assistance of kind-hearted Nigerians was needed to help his stepson get proper treatment.
He said, “Since the incident happened, we have spent all we have to get medical treatment. We need the assistance of kind-hearted Nigerians to help him get medical care because we were told that he would need over 500,000 to get him back on his feet.”
The Public Relations Officer of Federal Medical Centre, Owo, Mr Goke Omolade, told our correspondent to come down to the hospital to have a better assessment of the situation.
He said, “I am a civil servant and I am not authorised to speak with the press except I have the permission of the Chief Medical Director, which I don’t have now.
“Also, I may not be able to give the full details that are required of me. If the patient is on admission, it is better to come to the hospital to get the full story. You will go to the ward and speak with the doctor in charge of the person.”
After our correspondent in Ondo State visited the spokesman, the spokesman called back this reporter, saying he still could not speak on the issue.
He said, “I have visited the patient, but his medical reports cannot be released to me without the approval of the Chief Medical Director, who is not available presently.”