Intercontinental ballistic missiles are seen at a grand military parade in Pyongyang, North Korea. (Reuters)
North Korea is reportedly taking steps to safeguard its nuclear and ballistic capabilities from being destroyed before a planned second summit between President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, U.N. monitors said.
Stephen Biegun, the U.S. special envoy for North Korea, is slated to meet with his North Korean counterpart, Kim Hyok Chol, on Wednesday in Pyongyang, on Wednesday to prepare for Trump’s second summit with Kim. In an interview with CBS’ “Face the Nation,” Trump said the second summit “is set” with Kim, but provided no further details.
Earlier this week, Biegun met with South Korea’s national security advisor Chung Eui-yong and South Korean Foreign Ministry official Lee Do-hoon.
At a second Trump-Kim summit, some experts say North Korea is likely to seek to trade the destruction of its main Yongbyon nuclear complex for a U.S. promise to formally declare the end of the 1950-53 Korean War, open a liaison office in Pyongyang and allow the North to resume some lucrative economic projects with South Korea.
However, U.N. monitors said in a confidential report to the U.N. Security Council sanctions committee that “they have found evidence of a consistent trend on the part of the DPRK [Democratic People’s Republic of Korea] to disperse its assembly, storage and testing locations,” Reuters reported.
The North Korean mission to the U.N. did not immediately comment on the report.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.