“I was rushed to the medic and I was given an IV. Had chemical burns throughout my mouth.”
— Awilda Montes
The hotel then said they were “investigating” the accident and offered Montes “a free couples massage” in exchange for her silence and “releasing them of any liability.”
“I refused because I honestly didn’t know if I would have any issues once I got home,” she said, saying in a message to Fox News that she has “documentation from the doctor I saw when I drank the bleach.”
The resort did not respond to Fox News’ request for comment.
Miranda Schaup-Werner of Allentown, Penn. collapsed and died on May 25 after having a drink from her room’s mini bar. Five days later, on May 30, a Maryland couple, Edward Holmes and Cynthia Day, were found dead in their room.
This week, a Colorado couple announced that they filed a lawsuit in the Dominican Republic against the Bahia Principe resort group, alleging that they fell ill because of pesticides while staying at one of the chain’s properties last year. The couple, Kaylynn Knull and Tom Schwander, said they stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, the same hotel where the Maryland couple died in their room.