What is graphene? What is it used for? The most amazing thing about this semi-metal of the future is the fact that you can produce it yourself in your living room!
What is graphene, and why is it so amazing? One of the things that makes graphene so cool is that it’s the thinnest material you can imagine. It’s just one atom thick! This means this material is mathematically 2-dimensional. And you can still hold this single layer of atoms in your hands!
Surprisingly, graphene isn’t a unique or rare substance. In fact, it has the same carbon structure as the graphite you use every day when you draw or write with your pencil! But at the same time, in 0.03” of graphite, there are about 3 million graphene layers!
Why graphene is so amazing 1:05
How graphene was discovered 1:48
How expensive graphene is 2:15
What the properties of graphene are 2:41
How graphene can be used 4:50
Can you make graphene at home? 9:59
#graphene #thinnestmaterial #graphenelayers
Music by Epidemic Sound https://www.epidemicsound.com/
– Graphene isn’t a unique or rare substance. In fact, it has the same carbon structure as the graphite you use every day when you draw or write with your pencil! But at the same time, in 0.03” of graphite, there are about 3 million graphene layers!
– Dr. Konstantin Novoselov and Professor Andre Geim discovered the wonder-material in 2004 at the University of Manchester. They were examining how efficient graphite is as a transistor. The story goes that graphene appeared thanks to sticky tape!
– Graphene used to be incredibly expensive to manufacture. It cost a whopping $1,100 to produce enough graphene to cover the head of a pin. However, by the end of 2015, you could buy 0.35 oz of graphene for $1,000.
– Graphene is incredibly stretchy. It can stretch as much as 25% of its length! This material is also really stiff. Actually, it’s the hardest material people know about — even harder than diamonds, and that says a lot!
– One more great thing about graphene is its relationship with electricity. This material carries electricity more quickly, more precisely, and more efficiently than any other known material.
– Graphene may be the answer to the water crisis many countries are facing. If we make membranes from graphene, they would be able to let water through while filtering out salt at the same time.
– One layer of graphene is impressive enough. Can you imagine what you could achieve with 2 layers of this super material? Nothing short of incredibly strong body armor.
– If producers start to use graphene in gadget manufacturing, we might end up with smartphones that can be bent in any direction. One of graphene’s main properties is its flexibility.
– Graphene can be used in the beauty industry as well. It will be the perfect alternative to current hair dyes, most of which are still toxic and damaging to hair.
– Well, you can potentially make graphene at home, provided you have enough time and patience to do so.
Subscribe to Bright Side : https://goo.gl/rQTJZz
Our Social Media:
5-Minute Crafts Youtube: https://www.goo.gl/8JVmuC