North Korea launches short-range ‘projectiles’: report
North Koreareportedly launched multiple unidentified short-range “projectiles” off its eastern coast Saturday.
Word of the firings was reported by South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency, which cited South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS). The South initially reported that the Communist North fired short-range missiles but later retracted that statement.
The projectiles were fired from North Korea’s east-coast town of Wonsan in a northeastern direction and reportedly toward the East Sea, the agency said, citing a news release. The launches took place “between 9:06 a.m. and 9:27 a.m.” local time and reportedly flew up to 125 miles, according to the outlet.
People watch a TV showing footage of North Korea’s missile launch during a news program at the Seoul Railway Station in Seoul, South Korea on Saturday. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joo)
“Our military has been closely watching North Korea’s movements and has maintained a full-fledged posture in close coordination with the U.S.,” the JCS said.
The Pentagon did not confirm the launches for Fox News, saying officials were still looking into the report. But the White House issued a statement.
“We are aware of North Korea’s actions tonight. We will continue to monitor as necessary,” White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said.
South Korean officials were monitoring the situation and were sharing information with their American counterparts.
“We are aware of North Korea’s actions tonight. We will continue to monitor as necessary.”
— White House press secretary Sarah Sanders
Last month, North Korea test-fired what it called “the new tactical guided weapon,” that appeared to be a guided weapon for ground combat, according to South Korean authorities.
The two world leaders hadpreviously met in Singaporein June 2018, with both signing a document promising to work for “complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.”
On Friday, Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin discussed several topics, including North Korea during a phone conversation, according to a Twitter message from President Trump.
Saturday’s launch could escalate tensions between Washington and Pyongyang, as the U.S. continues to pressure the North to disarm. In a sign of growing frustration, Pyongyang recently demanded that U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo be removed from nuclear negotiations and criticized national security adviser John Bolton.
“North Korea wants to say, ‘We have missiles and nuclear weapons to cope with (U.S.-led) sanctions,'” said Nam Sung-wook, a professor at Korea University. “They can fire short-range missiles a couple more times this month, and there is no guarantee that they won’t fire a medium-range missile next month.”
American experts estimate that North Korea has 30 to 60 nuclear warheads, theNew York Times reported. They say it may have an ICBM capable of hitting the U.S.
A missile test would have been the rogue state’s first since 2017, when it fired an intercontinental ballistic missile into Japanese waters. It also launched a missile over Japan earlier that year.
Concerns over North Korea’s nuclear program arose again during the lead up to the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea. A diplomatic breakthrough in which the North agreed to participate in the gamesquelled fears of a worst-case scenario, according to the Times.
The North hasthreatened to “sink” Japan and reduce the U.S. to “ashes and darkness” for supporting a United Nations Security Council resolution and sanctions over its nuclear program. After its launch over Japan in 2017, Trump vowed “fire and fury” if North Korea ramped up its nuclear threats. That year saw a string of weapons tests from the North and responses from Trump that had many in the region fearing war.
Japan’s Defense Ministry said Saturday’s projectiles were not a security threat and didn’t reach the country’s coast.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
Fox News’ Lucas Tomlinson contributed to this report.